Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)


June 19, 2014

Attorney seeks to suppress murder suspect’s confession

GREENUP — The attorney representing a man accused of murdering a woman with whom he and his girlfriend were involved in a polyamorous relationship is seeking to prevent statements his client made to police in which he confessed to the crime from being used against him in court.

Public Defender Sam Weaver, who represents Arthur Quigley, maintains the warrant on which his client was arrested in the slaying of Mary Dixon was invalid and statements obtained from Quigley by the police as a result of it should not be allowed to be introduced by prosecutors as evidence in Quigley’s trial, which is scheduled for Aug. 11 in Greenup Circuit Court.

Following a brief hearing on Thursday, Judge Bob Conley scheduled a hearing on Weaver’s motion for 9:30 a.m. July 2.

Quigley is charged with murder and tampering with physical evidence. He faces a prison sentence of 20 years to life if he is convicted.

Weaver maintains in his motion the murder warrant against Quigley contained insufficient information and should be dismissed and Quigley’s confession suppressed as a result.

Dixon, 40, of South Shore, was last seen alive on June 26, 2013, at the Subway restaurant in the Ashland Plaza shopping center on Diederich Boulevard, where she and Quigley both worked. Her body was discovered three days later in a ditch behind Hobby Lobby, the anchor store at the shopping center. Her throat had been cut and she also had suffered blunt-force trauma to the head.

In an interview following his arrest in Ohio, Quigley told Russell Police Department Detective Adam Davis he killed Dixon in a jealous rage prompted by his belief his girlfriend was going to leave him for the victim. Quiqley, his girlfriend, Lindsay White, and Dixon had been involved in a three-way relationship for several months prior to the murder.

According to court records, Quigley also told Davis he had become convinced the two women wanted to be together and wanted him out of the picture. He also said he had come across some “upsetting” text messages between White and Dixon on White’s cell phone that fueled his suspicions.

In a separate interview, White told investigators she considered herself bisexual and had never indicated to Quigley that she wanted to have an exclusive relationship with Dixon. However, she acknowledged Quigley was jealous of the attention she was paying to Dixon.

The night of Dixon’s murder, White told police Quigley left the couple’s home in Kitts Hill, Ohio, telling her he was going out to buy cigarettes and deodorant. White said Quigley was gone much longer than she’d expected him to be, and, when he returned home, he went straight to the bathroom and showered and changed clothes.

Quigley told Davis he drove to Subway on June 26 with the intention of talking to Dixon about the three-way relationship.  He said he told Dixon he wanted her out of his and White’s lives, reminding her that at the outset of the relationship, the three had all agreed that any of them could call it off if it became too much for them to handle.

But Dixon balked at leaving, Quigley told the detective, telling him that he and White were not likely to survive as a couple if she did because White would resent him for driving her away.

Quigley told Davis that other details of the night of the murder were fuzzy, but that he remembered attacking Dixon and “beating the (expletive) out of her” and slashing her throat with a box-cutter knife he carried with him for protection. Following the murder, Quigley said he threw the knife off the Ironton-Russell Bridge.

Prior to confessing to killing Dixon, Davis quoted Quigley as saying he was going to tell him something “that’s going to put me in prison for the rest of my life.”

KENNETH HART can be reached at khart@dailyindependent.com or (606) 326-2654.

Text Only
Local News
Local Sports
College Basketball
CNHI News Service Originals