Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)


April 14, 2014

Body ID’d as missing South Shore man

No foul play suspected

SOUTH SHORE — A body found late Friday off East Tygarts Road is believed to be that of a South Shore area man who disappeared from his home seven months ago.

Greenup County Coroner Neil Wright said the body is that of Gerald Boyles, according to a release from the Kentucky State Police.

He said the body was sent to the state medical examiner’s office in Frankfort for positive identification. No foul play is suspected.

Boyles, 75, who family members said suffered from Parkinson’s disease and the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s disease, walked away from his home late Sept. 13, or early the following day, according to his wife, Jeanie.

The couple’s home is on Fifth Street in Sand Hill, a subdivision off U.S. 23 located 2.5miles east of South Shore.

A search team made up of relatives, friends and law enforcement people, using four-wheelers, dogs and even for a time a helicopter, searched a wide area all through Sept. 14 and into the night.

Family members had continued searching off and on and far and wide since then.

The body was found by Greenup County sheriff’s deputies off East Tygarts Road, in a ditch just short of the closed Mt. Zion Methodist church building, about half a mile from the Boyles’ residence.

Police had been searching for Keith “KD” Gilbert, owner of KD’s service station and convenience store at the mouth of East Tygarts Road. The unconscious store owner was found in the same general area, behind the store.

Gilbert had been robbed as he locked up the store to leave that evening. He gave chase on foot and was evidently clubbed by the robber or robbers when he caught up to them.

Family members had called police when he didn’t come home at the normal time after closing.

Gilbert was taken first to Southern Ohio Medical center in Portsmouth and later transferred to the Trauma Center in Cabell Huntington Hospital, where he spent two nights.

He returned home Monday but was still unclear in his mind about what happened, an employee of the store said.

The store was robbed once before at gunpoint and has been broken into several times.

Boyles, although he had difficulty walking very far, had disappeared a few days earlier last September. His brother, Wid, found him that time in a ditch near McKell Middle School, two miles from home.

G. SAM PIATT can be reached at (606) 932-3619 or gsamwriter@aol.com.


Text Only
Local News
Local Sports
College Basketball
CNHI News Service Originals
Featured Ads
Seasonal Content
AP Video
Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast New Sanctions on Key Sectors of Russian Economy Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Newspaper National Network
SEC Zone