An 18-year-old Ashland man was killed Wednesday in a two-vehicle accident on the Northeastern Kentucky Industrial Parkway.
Nathan Nickell was pronounced dead at Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital shortly after the collision, which occurred about 12:30 p.m. at the intersection of the parkway and Lost Lick Road in Greenup County, Kentucky State Police at Ashland said.
According to the KSP, Nickell was driving a 1992 Honda westbound on Lost Lick Road and entered the parkway into the path of a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado pickup driven by Joyce Callahan, 70, of Olive Hill.
The KSP said it appeared Nickell failed to stop at the intersection. Callhan’s vehicle struck Nickell’s in the passenger side. Both vehicles left the roadway following the impact.
Nickell was not weating a seat belt and was ejected from his car, the KSP said. He was pronounced dead at OLBH by Greenup County Coroner Neil Wright.
Callahan and passenger Freda Rivers, 55, also were not wearing seat belts at the time of the collision. Both were transported to Cabell Huntington Hospital and were listed in fair condition, the KSP said.
Multiple agencies responded to the accident, including Greenup County Sheriff’s Department, Little Sandy Fire Department, Greenup County EMS, KDMC Health Net, KSP Commercial Vehicle Enforcement and the Greenup County Coroner’s Office.
The collision remains under investigation by Trooper Ben Tanner.
2 others injured
- Local News
Olive Hill votes wet
With more than 400 ballots cast and counted Tuesday, voters in the small Carter County city of Olive Hill officially approved legal alcohol sales there by a wide margin.
- Democratic House leaders release budget
- UPDATE: Towboat workers exposed to toxic chemical
- 3 indicted in horse shootings
- Government requests imposition of sentences in motorcycle theft ring case
- Olive Hill votes wet
- Local Sports
VIDEO: 16th Region semifinals highlights
Fleming County defeated Lewis County, 66-58, and Ashland beat Greenup County, 81-61, on Monday night at Morehead State University to set up tonight's championship matchup. Tipoff is set for 7.
- Ashland cruises past Greenup to 16th Region championship game
- Fleming battles back to 16th Region final
- AARON SNYDER: Will the next hero be unmasked?
- Central wins, Lawrence falls in 15th
- VIDEO: 16th Region semifinals highlights
Denied a vote
What is it about members of the Kentucky General Assembly that makes them so reluctant to allow voters to make the final decision on important public issues? Don’t they trust the ability of the people to have the intelligence and the ability to make the right decision?
- Promise Zone
- In Your View
- Teaching welders
- In Your View
- Denied a vote
Cathie Shaffer: Oh, as soon as it gets dry outside ...: 03/11/14
There’s this bright stuff outside the window as I write that I vaguely recall as sunshine. And that light illuminates so much — as in my car really needs washed and the end of winter really is a pretty ugly time of year.
- The monster that changed our lives
- Tim Preston: Auger burger, gone Goldy, microbrews and canoes: 3/9/14
- RONNIE ELLIS: 50 years makes a world of difference
- 03/09/2014 — Lee Ward: Thinking about a new career as a cuddle therapist
- Cathie Shaffer: Oh, as soon as it gets dry outside ...: 03/11/14
- College Basketball
- CNHI News Service Originals
VIDEO: Mother, children rescued from van in ocean
Witnesses in Daytona Beach watched as a woman drove her van with three children into the ocean. Their dramatic rescue was captured on video.
- Facebook cracking down on illegal gun sales planned on site
- What you need to know about subtle office bullying
- Polar vortex may prove to be a powerful pesticide
- VIDEO: Best moments from the 2014 Oscars
- VIDEO: Mother, children rescued from van in ocean