All area playoff action can be heard live on the airwaves tonight. Each of the following games kick off at 7:30.
Russell at Belfry will be broadcast on WLGC 105.7-FM. Fairview at Lexington Christian will be on WZZZ 107.5-FM. Each game will begin with a pre-game show at 7. Fairview-LCA is also streaming live on wlgcradio.com.
Ironton and Columbus Bishop Hartley can be heard on WIRO 1230 AM.
Johnson Central and Highlands will be broadcast on WSIP 98.9-FM.
- Local Sports
Boys 16th Region: Gotta be Lion!
As a scoring drought settled on Boyd County Saturday, Lewis County took advantage and then survived a frantic fourth quarter in the opening round of the 16th Region Tournament on Saturday. Lewis County won 71-66 at Morehead State’s Ellis T. Johnson arena.
- GALLERY: Tomcats move to second round in 16th Region Tournament The Ashland Tomcats out rebounded, out ran and out shot East Carter Saturday night to move on to Monday's semifinal.
- Greenup County gets by Rowan to advance in the 16th Region Tournament On the back of Gage Hughes' 22 points, Greenup County beat Rowan County 60-54 to advance to Monday night's semifinal in the 16th Region Tournament
Kentucky's Shepherd extends streak
Former Lawrence County standout right-handed hurler Chandler Shepherd is streaking again.
- Lewis county advances to Monday's semifinal Lewis County held of a late charge by the Boyd County Lions Saturday afternoon to earn a match up against Fleming County in the 16th Region Tournament in Morehead.
- Fleming County boys move to the semifinal Elliott County's Hunter Holbrook had 21 points Saturday, but the Fleming County Panthers had four players in double figures to beat the Lions 67-45 to advance to the semifinal round of the 16th Region Boys Basketball Tournament in Morehead.
Thrillogy: Kittens net three-peat (with photos, video)
Ashland's Kittens earned their Three-Peat the really hard way.
AARON SNYDER: Swish Family Robinson
Bill Bradley's mouth dropped.
"I'm stunned, wow," he said.
Ashland's coach had just learned of the remarkable numbers the Robinsons had put together in the 16th Region championship game.
- Kittens complete three-peat Ashland's girls used a 14-6 third-quarter run and an MVP-like performance from junior Alexis Robinson to beat East Carter, 45-41, on Friday in Morehead. The Kittens accomplished their first region three-peat in program history. Robinson scored 25 points and earned MVP honors for the third straight tournament.
Rams turn to Salmons as football coach
Coming off its best season in school history, Raceland is turning to the “Orange Crusher” to take the Rams even deeper into future postseasons.
Michael Salmons, so dubbed on the cover of The Independent’s 1998 football preseason preview tab before his senior season as a Raceland fullback and defensive lineman, was introduced Friday afternoon to the Rams as their new head football coach.
- More Local Sports Headlines
- Boys 16th Region: Gotta be Lion!