Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

Local News

October 12, 2013

Fire damages Flatwoods apartment building

FLATWOODS — An early-morning fire heavily damaged a Flatwoods apartment building on Friday, but the residents all escaped without injury.

The blaze was reported about 2 a.m. at Brentwood III Apartments, 1805 Clay St.

Firefighters had to rescue two residents from the burning structure. One was a man who lived on the upper floor of the two-story building. Firefighters raised a ladder to his window and the man climbed down to safety, Flatwoods Fire Department Assistant Chief Steve Carver said.

The department also assisted an elderly woman who lived on the first floor, Carver said. The woman was having difficulty getting out because she uses a wheelchair, he said.

The fire began in the kitchen of one of the upstairs apartments. Carver said a woman was cooking French fries and the hot oil she was using ignited. The flames spread from the woman’s apartment into the hallway.

Flames were leaping from the building when firefighters arrived, Carver said. The fire department had the blaze under control within about 45 minutes, he said. Flatwoods firefighters were assisted at the scene by members of the Russell and Westwood fire departments.

Seven of the eight apartments in the building were occupied, Carver said.

Luanne Fugeman lived in one of the second-story apartments with her daughter, Jordan Hall, and son, L.T. Fugeman. All three were sleeping when the fire started and were awakened by the commotion outside the building.

“We heard someone pounding on something and saying, ‘There’s a fire! There’s a fire!’” Luanne Fugeman said.

The heavy smoke that filled the building made it difficult for the three to find their way out, Hall said.

“You couldn’t see. You couldn’t breathe,” she said.  

The three managed to make it to safety with the family dog, a black Shih Tzu-Yorkshire terrier mix named Pebbles.

The family was awaiting permission to go back into the building Friday morning to see what belongings they could salvage. Luanne Fugeman, who works at the Lowe’s store in Russell, said the plan was for the three to stay with family.

The building where the fire occurred is one of two in Brentwood III Apartments. The buildings are owned by Franklin Properties of Louisville.

Vicki James, executive director of the Northeast Kentucky Chapter of the American Red Cross, said the agency is helping the seven families displaced by the fire.

 “We received the call around 2:40 a.m. and I was on the scene by 3:15 a.m. to assist families,” she said.

  The Red Cross has distributed comfort kits to all those affected and all residents have been temporarily placed with family members and friends, James said.

 “We were lucky there were no injuries and credit that to the quick response of the Flatwoods Volunteer Fire Department,” she said. “Today, we will be focusing on casework for those individuals and making sure their needs are being met.”

 James said the blaze also was a stark reminder of the importance of fire safety.

“October is Fire Prevention Month, and families need to have a plan in the event of a fire,” she said. “Fire Prevention Month is a good time to remind all families of the need to make sure they have a planned escape route, a fire extinguisher, smoke alarms with good batteries and renters insurance is always a good idea for those who rent.”

 

1
Text Only
Local News
  • In GOP South, pushback against Obama climate rules

    In the Republican-heavy Southeast, critics said Tuesday that a plan by President Barack Obama’s administration to cut pollution would raise electricity prices, result in job losses and may not significantly curtail the carbon emissions blamed for global warming.

    July 29, 2014

  • AK Steel posts smaller 2Q loss

    AK Steel Holding Corp. (AKS) on Tuesday reported a smaller loss in its second quarter, and topped analysts' expectations.

    July 29, 2014

  • ambulance.jpg UPDATE: Major impact downtown in accident

    A morning accident left an ambulance resting on its side Tuesday morning in front of the Paramount Arts Center on Winchester Avenue.

    July 29, 2014 2 Photos

  • Jesse Stuart Foundation celebrates 35 years

    The annual Jesse Stuart Foundation Open House from noon to 6 p.m. on Aug. 8 will be a huge celebration.
     

    July 28, 2014

  • 0729hagerman.jpg Hagerman talks law with Rotary

    At Monday’s lunchtime meeting of the Ashland Rotary Club, Boyd County Circuit Court Judge C. David Hagerman summed up current local legal trends — and how cases, courts and criminals have changed during his 20-plus year tenure.
     

    July 28, 2014 1 Photo

  • POLICE BEAT: Houseguest steals valuables, nabbed at pawn shop

    Fish and houseguests both stink after three days — and much less time when a visitor pockets valuables without permission.
     

    July 28, 2014

  • 0728bank5.jpg Iconic Gate City bank torn down after partial collapse

    This weekend, Catlettsburg’s downtown silhouette lost one of its longest-lived landmarks.
    Demolition workers began to tear down one of the Gate City’s oldest downtown buildings following the former Catlettsburg National Bank’s partial collapse.

    July 28, 2014 2 Photos

  • Study shows room for parking improvement

    It has been suggested that the parking layout along Winchester Avenue should change, bringing the city’s main thoroughfare down to two lanes.

    July 28, 2014

  • Anti-smoking tour kicks off in Ashland

    A scan in 2009 that was supposed to show doctors what was causing Deborah Cline’s eye problems by chance revealed the cancer in her lung.
    Two years later, Roger Cline watched his wife die of lung cancer. Deborah Cline was 59 and had never smoked.

    July 28, 2014

  • 0728bank5.jpg Gate City landmark demolished

    The historic Catlettsburg National Bank Building was being taken down after the front dormer window collapsed on Sunday.

    July 28, 2014 4 Photos