Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

September 16, 2013

Search for missing man continues

G. Sam Piatt
The Independent

South Shore — Authorities were following up on telephone leads Monday in an attempt to find an elderly South Shore man who apparently wandered away from his home late last week, according to the Kentucky State police.

State police put out a request Monday for help from anyone who may have seen 75-year-old Gerald L. Boyles, who was last seen in the vicinity of 44 Fifth St. in South Shore.

Authorities believe Boyles left his home on foot. He was last seen wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans.

Firefighters had suspended a grid search for 75-year-old Gerald Boyles but telephone leads were continuing to trickle in from possible sightings, a dispatcher at the Ashland post said.

Searchers had been actively looking as recently as Saturday night after Boyles went missing.

Boyles was reported missing before noon Saturday, said Wid Boyles, his brother. He said that is when Gerald’s wife, Jeanie, called him to say she couldn’t find him.

“He could have wandered off late Friday, we don’t know,” said Wid Boyles. “Jeanie isn’t able to take care of him all the time herself. It’s one of those cases where you just don’t know what to do.”

The couple live on Fifth Street in Sand Hill, a subdivision off U.S. 23  21⁄2 miles east of South Shore.

Boyles said his brother suffers from Parkinson’s disease and has “a little Alzheimer’s going, too.”

Although he has difficulty walking very far, he disappeared earlier in the week and Boyles found him in a ditch near McKell Middle School, two miles from home.

“He was aware and knew things but how he got that far I don’t know. He told me he was going to the bank. He was carrying $815 in cash in a small plastic container.”

He said he did not know if his brother had money with him Saturday or not.

“Somebody could have given him a ride and just kept on going. You don’t really know what to think.”

Members of South Shore, Firebrick and Maloneton volunteer fire departments searched the woods south of Sand Hill. A helicopter crew and a crew with a tracking dog joined the search throughout Saturday afternoon and evening. Friends of the family on four-wheelers also drove through the woods

“I searched the woods six hours myself,” Boyles said. “My sister and I own more than 30 acres back there and on days when he could walk better he liked to walk that property.”

Anyone with information may call Kentucky State Police at (800) 222-5555 or (606) 928-6421. Callers may remain anonymous.