Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

August 3, 2013

Records: Jealousy motive in murder

Quigley confessed to killing co-worker

Kenneth Hart
The Independent

GREENUP — The man accused of murdering his co-worker at a Russell fast-food restaurant told police he committed the crime in a jealous rage prompted by his belief that his girlfriend was going to leave him for the victim.

“I was just so jealous ... heartbroken ... upset,” Russell Police Department Detective Adam Davis’ investigative notes quote Arthur Quigley as saying in an interview following his arrest on charges of murder and tampering with physical evidence in the death of Mary Dixon, 40, of South Shore. “I turned into a (expletive) monster.”

Davis’ notes and transcripts of various witness interviews were among a thick sheaf of documents recently filed as part of the court record in the case. Police had previously released few details about Dixon’s slaying, which was Greenup County’s third homicide of the year and the first murder in Russell in recent memory.

Dixon was last seen alive on June 26 at the Subway restaurant in the Ashland Plaza shopping center on Diederich Boulevard, where she and Quigley both worked. Her body was discovered three days later in a ditch behind Hobby Lobby, the anchor store at the shopping center. Her throat had been cut and she also had suffered blunt-force trauma to the head.

Dixon was reported missing by her nephew, who told police she had recently been involved in what he described as an abusive relationship with a woman from Scioto County. However, according to documents, as investigators began probing her disappearance, they learned that for the previous several months, she had been in a three-way relationship with Quigley and his girlfriend, a woman named Lindsay White.

In an interviewing following his arrest in Eldorado, Ohio, by the Preble County Sheriff’s Department, Quigley told Davis that the relationship had become too much for him, and that at some point, he had become convinced the two women wanted to be together and wanted him out of the picture. He also said he had come across some “upsetting” text messages between White and Dixon on White’s cell phone that fueled his suspicions.

However, in a separate interview, White told investigators she considered herself bisexual and had never indicated to Quigley that she wanted to have an exclusive relationship with Dixon.

White did acknowledge, though, that Quigley “was jealous of the attention she was paying to (Dixon)” and “viewed the victim as a wedge between himself and White,” documents state.

White also said there had been “trust and communication issues” between her and Quigley, which she said stemmed from an incident where he was obtaining other women’s phone numbers at his place of employment.

The night of Dixon’s murder, White told police Quigley left the couple’s home in Kitts Hill, Ohio, telling her he was going out to buy cigarettes and deodorant. White said Quigley was gone much longer than she’d expected him to be, and, when he returned home, he went straight to the bathroom and showered and changed clothes.

Quigley told Davis he drove to Subway on June 26 with the intention of talking to Dixon about the three-way relationship. He said he would have preferred for all the parties involved to have been able to sit down together and discuss their feelings, but didn’t believe that was a possibility.

He said he told Dixon he wanted her out of his and White’s lives, reminding her that at the beginning of the relationship, the three had all agreed that any of them could call it off if it became too much for them to handle.

But Dixon balked at leaving, Quigley told the detective, telling him that he and White were not likely to survive as a couple if she did because White would resent him for driving her away.

Quigley told Davis that other details of the night of the murder were fuzzy, but that he remembered attacking Dixon and “beating the (expletive) out of her” and slashing her throat with a box-cutter knife he carried with him for protection. Following the murder, Quigley said he threw the knife off the Ironton-Russell Bridge.

Prior to confessing to killing Dixon, Davis quoted Quigley as saying he was going to tell him something “that’s going to put me in prison for the rest of my life.”

When Davis asked him later in the interview if he was sorry for what he’d done, Quigley responded: “More than anyone will ever know.”

Quigley has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him at his arraignment in Greenup Circuit Court July 25. Judge Bob Conley set his bond at $750,000. He is lodged in the Greenup County Detention Center.

Quigley could get 20 years to life in prison if he is convicted of murder. Greenup Commonwealth’s Attorney Melvin Leonhart said he was unaware of any aggravating circumstances that would make Quigley eligible for the death penalty if he is found guilty.

KENNETH HART can be reached at khart@dailyindependent.com or (606) 326-2654.