Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

Local News

October 10, 2012

Lee convicted of murder

Jury recommends life

GREENUP — A Greenup Circuit Court jury on Wednesday deliberated for only 40 minutes before finding Charles S. “Steve” Lee guilty of murder in the slaying of his wife, community activist Leslie “Crickett” Lanham-Lee.

The same seven-man, five-woman also recommended Lee spend the rest of his life in prison for the crime.

The verdict and sentencing capped an emotion-packed, high-profile six-day trial, likely the last one for Greenup Commonwealth’s Attorney Cliff Duvall, who is retiring when his current term expires at the end of the year.

Lee showed no emotion when Judge Bob Conley read the jury’s verdict and, later, its recommended sentence. Muffled sobs could be heard both times in the packed courtroom gallery. Many of those watching and listening were members of the Borrowed Angels Charity Riders, an organization founded by Lanham-Lee.

Under state sentencing guidelines, the parole eligibility for a life sentence is 20 years. Lee, 44, has already spent roughly a year in custody, meaning he will have to spend a minimum of 19 years behind bars. However, it’s rare in Kentucky for offenders to be granted parole the first time they seek it. And, even if he was to be released, Duvall noted, Lee would still be under the supervision of the Kentucky Department of Corrections for the remainder of his life.

Lanham-Lee, 40, was found dead in the couple’s apartment on East Main Street in Greenup the morning of March 4, 2011. She died of blood loss from a pair of roughly two-inch-deep stab wounds to the lower front portion of her neck, one of which severed her subclavian artery, which is fed by the aorta. A state medical exmainer testified she likely bled to death within about 10 minutes of that wound being inflicted. There were no signs of a struggle — the acrylic fingernails she was wearing were intact when her body arrived in Frankfort for an autopsy — and a screening of her bodily fluids showed no traces of drugs or alcohol.

 Steve Lee told investigators he was not home when his wife was killed. He said he awoke about 4 that morning and couldn’t get back to sleep, so he went for a drive and found his wife dead when he returned home about two hours later. Lanham-Lee’s dog, a large boxer named Pandi whom friends said was fiercely protective of her, was also missing and was later found in the Howland Hill area near the A-A Highway.

Lee’s friend, Derek Justice, testified Lee had also given another version of the events surrounding Lanham-Lee’s death. Justice said Lee told him “three men with northern accents” broke into the apartment, held a gun to his head, threatened his children’s lives and stabbed his wife to death.

Lee also told investigators he believed his wife’s death may have been connected to an alleged run-in she had with members of the Pagans outlaw motorcycle gang and pointed to message scratched on the wall of the bedroom where her body was found as evidence of that.

But, in his closing remarks, Duvall told jurors Lee’s stories were highly implausible, at best, and that what actually happened was that Lee murdered his wife, staged the crime scene in an attempt to mislead authorities into believing she’d been killed by an intruder, then went about trying to piece together an alibi for himself.

Duvall acknowledged the lack of physical evidence tying Lee to the murder. The circumstantial evidence, though, he said, was overwhelming.

He pointed to two key pieces of scientific evidence that he said indicated Lanham-Lee’s death couldn’t have occurred within the time frame her husband said it did. One, he said, was the fact that the pasta Lanham-Lee had eaten for dinner the night of her murder was still in her stomach when Associate Chief Medical Examiner Dr. John C. Hansaker III performed the autopsy on her.

Lee told investigators the couple had eaten dinner shortly after 5 p.m. Had Lanham-Lee been killed between 4 and 6 a.m., as her husband said she was, the food would have already been out of her system, Duvall said.

Duvall also played a recording of Lee’s 911 call reporting his wife’s death for the jury. On the tape, Lee could be heard telling a dispatcher he knew his wife was dead because he tried moving one of her arms and found it to be stiff.

Duvall reminded jurors that Hunsaker had testified it took six to eight hours for rigor mortis — the stiffening of the body after death — to reach the extremities, meaning Lanham-Lee’s death could not have occurred within the two-hour window in which Lee said it did.

The story Lee told Justice also was preposterous, Duvall said, if for no other reason than it was highly unlikely intruders could have made their way into the apartment without the dog alerting the Lees to their presence.

Duvall also read jurors a series of emails between Lee and his former wife, Tonya Hunt, which indicated Lee was planning to leave his wife to reunite with Hunt. In one of the messages, Lee made reference to he and Hunt being together in “eight more days.” It was sent eight days prior to Lanham-Lee’s murder.

Both Duvall and Lee’s attorney, Jonah Stevens of Pikeville, spent much of their closing remarks talking about an orange-and-black glove found wrpped in the hooded sweatshirt Lanham-Lee was wearing when she was murdered. Stevens told jurors the glove was worn by the murderer, and the fact DNA tests performed on the glove excluded his client meant someone else had committed the crime.

“The commonwealth has to prove his (Lee’s) hand in that glove,” he said. “And, we know beyond a shadow of a doubt his hand was not in that glove.”

Duvall, though, said the glove — which matched the type of gloves that were passed out to employees of Norfolk & Southern Railroad, where Lee worked as a locomotive engineer — was yet another red herring planted at the scene by Lee to throw investigators off his trail.

For one thing, Duvall said, it Lanham-Lee had been killed by outlaw bikers or hitmen, as her husband maintained, it’s unlikely they would have left such a damning piece of evidence at the murder scene. Also, Duvall noted, Lee acknowledged in an interview with Detective David Bocook of the Greenup County Sheriff’s Department, the lead investigator in the case, that the glove looked like the ones he’d been given at work.

“I don’t know that much about hit men, but, I do know they’d probably bring their own gloves to the scene of a murder,” he said. “I bet they wouldn’t leave one of them behind, either.”

The weapon used to kill Lanham-Lee was never found. The sheets and a pillowcases from the bed on which her body was found also were missing. Duvall told jurors it was the commonwealth’s theory that Lee threw those items off the Carl D. Perkins Bridge into the Ohio River, which he was running high at the time following a period of heavy rain.

In one of his interviews with Bocook, Lee admitted he’d stopped on the bridge on the way home from his drive. But, he said he did so because he’d dropped one of the soft drinks he’d purchased at a convenience store in West Portsmouth.

Conley scheduled Lee’s final sentencing for Nov. 8.

KENNETH HART can be reached at khart@dailyindependent.com or (606) 326-2654.

Text Only
Local News
  • Golden Corral sends children to camp

    Ashland’s Golden Corral teamed with other restaurants across nation this year to raise $1.5 million to send a total of 3,000 children to Camp Corral.

    July 24, 2014

  • Burglars steal golf gear

    A couple of golf enthusiasts might not make their tee times Saturday because burglars stole golf equipment from their garages.

    July 24, 2014

  • Music instructor claims age discrimination

    The Russell Independent School District is denying allegations of a former band director who claims in a lawsuit the district discriminated against him because of his age.

    July 24, 2014

  • Financial blunder leads to heated board discussion

    In a surprising turn of events, City Manager Ben Bitter’s supervision authority was challenged by the Board of Commissioners after Commissioner Cheryl Spriggs filed a motion to have legal and finance department heads also report to the board in light of a financial blunder by Bitter.
    Ashland Mayor Chuck Charles and City Attorney Richard “Sonny” Martin confirmed a new ordinance will be drafted so the department heads of finance and legal counsel will be checked by the board, in addition to Bitter’s current oversight.

    July 24, 2014

  • Stricter enforcement, diagonal spots endorsed to help downtown

    A group of business owners operating along Winchester Avenue — Ashland’s main thoroughfare — asked the Ashland Board of Commissioners to replace current parallel parking spots with diagonal ones, and also for more strick enforcement of a two-hour parking law.

    July 24, 2014

  • National act takes stage at Boyd County Fair

    The Building of Dreams erupted into screams Thursday night at the 2014 Boyd County Fair, as country music fans saw Bucky Covington take the stage.
    According to Ellen Keaton, fair board president, Covington was a favorite on season five of Fox’s talent competition series American Idol.

    July 24, 2014

  • Smoke-free advocates bound for Ashland

    Advocates for smoke-free public spaces are touring the state, starting in Ashland, to drum up support for anti-tobacco legislation they hope to pass next year.
    Smoke-Free Kentucky is a coalition of organizations and people who support a ban on smoking in all public and work places in Kentucky.

    July 24, 2014

  • Ohio State Band Direc_Mayn.jpg Ohio State marching band chief fired after probe

    Ohio State University fired the director of its celebrated marching band on Thursday after determining he ignored a "sexualized" culture of rituals including students being pressured to march in their underwear and participate in sexually themed stunts.

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • Grimes has pep rally before energetic Democrats

    Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Alison Lundergan Grimes was preaching to the Democratic choir Thursday night at the Wendell Ford Dinner attended by about 700 here.

    July 24, 2014

  • Commissioners challenge city manager’s authority

    In a surprising turn of events, City Manager Ben Bitter’s supervision authority was challenged by the Board of Commissioners after Commissioner Cheryl Spriggs filed a motion to have legal and finance department heads also report to the board in light of a financial blunder by Bitter.

    July 24, 2014

Featured Ads
Seasonal Content
AP Video
Arizona Prison Chief: Execution Wasn't Botched Calif. Police Investigate Peacock Shooting Death Raw: Protesters, Soldiers Clash in West Bank Police: Doctor Who Shot Gunman 'Saved Lives' 'Modern Family' Star on Gay Athletes Coming Out MN Twins Debut Beer Vending Machine DA: Pa. Doctor Fired Back at Hospital Gunman Raw: Iowa Police Dash Cam Shows Wild Chase Obama Seeks Limits on US Company Mergers Abroad Large Family to Share NJ Lottery Winnings U.S. Flights to Israel Resume After Ban Lifted Official: Air Algerie Flight 'probably Crashed' TSA Administrator on Politics and Flight Bans Raw: National Guard Helps Battle WA Wildfires Raw: Ukraine's Donetsk Residents Flee Senators Push to End Hamas Threat in Cease-Fire A Young Victim's Premonition, Hug Before MH17 Raw: Deadly Storm Hits Virginia Campground Death Penalty Expert: 'This is a Turning Point' Raw: MH17 Victim's Bodies Arrive in Netherlands
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP basketball
SEC Zone