Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

January 4, 2014

Cold safety tips

Staff report
The Independent

CATLETTSBURG — Some cold weather safety tips, courtesy of the Boyd County Office of Emergency Management:

If you lose power:

Call your utility company first to report the power outage and to determine area repair schedules. Turn off or unplug lights, appliances and furnace to prevent a circuit overload when service is restored. Leave one light on to indicate power has been restored.

To help prevent frozen pipes, turn the water off to your home or turn on faucets slightly.

Protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning by not operating generators indoors, using charcoal to cook indoors or using a gas oven for heat.

Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to reduce food spoilage.

Do not call 911 to report power outages or to ask when power will be restored.

Kerosene heaters

If you use a kerosene heater as an emergency or supplementary heat source:

Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

Use only the correct fuel for your unit.

Refuel outdoors only and only when the unit is cool.

Keep the heater at least three feet away from furniture and other flammable objects.

Use fire safeguards and make sure the heater is ventilated properly.

Home winterizing

Have your heating system checked annually by a professional and your chimney checked for creosote buildup.

Make sure your home is properly insulated.

Caulk and weatherstrip doors and window sills.

Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.

Inspect and flush your water heater.

Clean gutters; leaves and other debris hamper drainage.

Replace smoke, heat and carbon monoxide detector batteries.