Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)


March 18, 2012

Lee Ward: 03/18/2012 —New driver’s license procedure like 50 miles of bad road

ASHLAND — West Virginia recently instituted some stiff requirements for residents renewing their driver’s licenses.

You don’t just fill out a short paper and take your current driver’s license to the Department of Motor Vehicles, pay a fee and get your renewed license.

The state adopted federally recommended guidelines meant to reduce the possibility of potential terrorists getting in-state identification.

Four pieces of paperwork are required, along with your old license.

You must show proof of Social Security¸which would be your original Social Security card, a W-2  or a Social Security benefit form.

You also must show proof of identity, which would be a birth certificate, an unexpired U.S. passport or an unexpired Department of Homeland Security document.

If you’ve had a change of name, you must show proof; for instance, if you got married, you have to show your marriage license.

You must show two proofs of residency. There are two lists of documents and you must choose one from each. The lists include West Virginia utility bills not more than 60 days old, tax records that show street address, West Virginia mortgage documents, West Virginia weapons permits, West Virginia Homestead Tax exemption, college admissions letter with the letterhead of the school that states you’re an in-state student. The lists go on but you get the idea.

Unfortunately for me, this was the year my license was due for renewal.

Over the last two months, I gathered my paperwork and stored it in a designated envelope. I ordered a birth certificate. By some miracle, I had kept track of my Social Security card and my marriage license.

I had two utility bill receipts and, just in case, I had my voter’s registration card and property tax receipt.

I was nervous.

On a good day, going to the DMV is a pain, notorious for long waits and odd glitches. With these new hoops to jump through and meticulous paperwork requirements, I expected trouble.

 I got there just 30 minutes after the office opened and already the line just to get a number to be waited on was out the door.

The sneaky feeling that I would wait for an hour just to be told I didn’t have the right paperwork overwhelmed me. I felt like someone trying to escape Nazi Germany.

“Just be cool,” I told myself. “If the papers are wrong, don’t have a meltdown. Just find out what you need and come back another day.”

However, I’d put off the inevitable for so long, I was running out of time to renew my license before it expired, so I needed to get this over with.

After standing in line for at least 30 minutes, I was accepted at the first window.

I opened the giant manilla envelope and dumped my paperwork on the counter. The clerk and I sorted through it all until he had the four pieces of evidence that I am who I say I am, live where I say I live, etc., that he had to see before he could let me advance to the next counter.

What if the next clerk doesn’t agree with the first and I'm sent away? I will have wasted at least an hour. Besides, the woman sitting behind me was coughing and sneezing as freely as the woman beside me was bragging about her psychiatrist-guaranteed mental illness; I didn’t want to have to experience that atmosphere again, at least not for another five years.

But I made the cut. I got the approval of the second clerk, who took my money (that’s how I knew it was a sure thing) and asked if I’d like to get a federal ID card, too. She said all West Virginia residents would be required to have one by 2017. I declined; my driver’s license would be due to be renewed that year and I will deal with it when the time comes.

The clerk sent me to the final line, the one where I would get my picture made, wait five more minutes and get my laminated card.

West Virginia isn’t the only state to require this rigamarole and I’m sure it won’t be the last to adopt these guidelines, so Kentucky and Ohio readers, start searching for your birth certificate and Social Security card now.

LEE WARD can be reached at lward@dailyindependent.com or (606) 326-2661.


Text Only
  • Mark Maynard: Let’s just forget about it: 04/17/14

    The older I get, the more forgetful I become. Does that sound familiar?

    April 16, 2014

  • Uncovering forgotten treasures

    You know the big difference between me and a hoarder? I mean, except that you can walk through my house and there are none of the disgusting aspects of hoarding in my life.

    April 14, 2014

  • Political stories worth retelling

    With Kentucky in the midst of the political season, it’s time to share some stories I’ve heard about the art of politicking.

    April 13, 2014

  • 0413timbizcolweb.jpg Tim Preston: Great salmon; finding Dr. Amy; and more Maria: 4/13/14

    It isn’t an especially convenient location unless you happen to be going that way, and if you don’t get there within the next couple of weeks you’ll have to wait until fall to try it out, but I had the best lunch I can remember last week at one of the last places you’d likely think of when pondering where to eat.

    April 13, 2014 1 Photo

  • Restaurant horror stories; garden planning tips

    In my couponing classes, I always had fun with everyone by telling them gross restaurant stories. In encouraging them to eat at home more and save their money, I was also teaching them how much cleaner it is.

    April 12, 2014

  • Feeling happy is ...

    Anyone hoping the Ashland-Huntington area will soon overtake Disney World as “the happiest place on Earth” will be waiting awhile.

    April 10, 2014

  • 0410markcol.jpg Mark Maynard: Brick House (South Ashland Florist) brings in $13K so far: 04/10/14

    Here’s a 14-name salute coming your way:

    April 9, 2014 1 Photo

  • John Cannon: Take this joint, please: 04/09/14

    Some of the things that occurred during our recent week in Jamaica were unexpected and even a bit weird. I suspect those will be the things we will still clearly remember long after the memories of the hours of lying on the beach have faded. I started to mention them in last week’s column, but opted to save them until a later date in the interest of length.

    April 8, 2014

  • AARON SNYDER: March Madness, sadness for Cats

    It’s just another game. That’s the message John Calipari preached profusely throughout the 2014 NCAA tournament. It’s typical coachspeak, but Cal’s young Kentucky team clung to the step-by-step approach to produce atypical results.

    April 8, 2014

  • Sweet thoughts on the season

    So far, I’ve been a good girl. Or a pretty good girl anyway. See, I have this thing for Reese’s peanut butter eggs. Homemade peanut butter eggs? Eh. I can take ‘em or leave ‘em.

    April 7, 2014

Featured Ads
Seasonal Content
AP Video
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
SEC Zone